Montefiore Nyack Acknowledges Eating Disorders Awareness Week

Eating Disorders Awareness Week (Monday, February 26 – Sunday, March 3, 2024) is an annual public awareness campaign that highlights the seriousness of eating disorders across the United States, particularly for women and girls of all ages. More than 30 million Americans suffer from disordered eating, including anorexia nervosa and bulimia nervosa. Typically, eating disorders develop between the ages of 18-25 years old and affect 90% of females with the remaining 10% affecting males.

“Eating disorders are not just a problem with food. Body image, physical and or psychological abuse, lack of self-esteem, obsessive compulsiveness and many other factors can trigger eating disorders in men and women of all ages,” says Sandra J. Arévalo, MPH, RDN, CDN, CDCES, CLC, FAND, Director of Community Health & Wellness
at Montefiore Nyack Hospital. “They are usually the consequence or are related to a distorted state of mind and need to be taken seriously.”

Once you have identified that there is a problem, it’s important to seek the help of a team of experts that might include a dietitian, psychologist, primary doctor and often a psychiatrist. Learning the first signs and symptoms of eating disorders may help to avoid serious health consequences and even death.

This year’s theme, “Let’s Talk About It: Eating Disorders, Stigma, and Empowered Recovery,” focuses on understanding the facts around eating disorders, addressing common eating disorder stigma, raising awareness about disparities in diagnosis and treatment, highlighting best practices for improving quality of care, and empowering people when seeking support and recovery.

Whether someone is struggling with anorexia, bulimia, binge eating disorder, or body image issues, help is available.

For information about Montefiore Nyack’s Nutritional Counseling Program, visit or find a primary care physician at The Alliance for Eating Disorders Awareness Helpline offers support and resources for individuals dealing with eating disorders. Call 1-866-662-1235 or visit

You must be logged in to post a comment Login