PSA from Clarkstown Police Department
On May 29, 2013 an elderly female from Nanuet became a victim to a larceny scam. The victim observed two males performing work on her driveway. The victim did not arrange for this work to be done but thought that maybe another family member made the arrangements. The men then rang her door bell and requested the payment be made in cash in order to receive a discount.
The victim then drove to her bank with the men following her and withdrew said cash which was in excess of $5,000. She paid the men for their work and they said that they would meet her back at her residence to give her a receipt. The men left the area. The work performed was inadequate and substandard.
The Clarkstown Police Department would like to inform seniors to follow some simple crime prevention tips.
· * Be wary of contractors who come to your home unsolicited claiming that your home is in need of expensive repair work.
· * Never agree to have work done on the spot.
· * Get at least two written estimates from licensed contractors prior to the start of any project.
· * Do not pay the full amount up front or other unreasonable advance sums.
· * Make sure all work to be performed is thoroughly described in your contract.
· * Don’t be bullied or pressured.
· * Call the police and get a license plate number if a door-to-door contractor won’t take “no” for an answer.
If you are a victim of scam report the incident immediately to the police department. Attempt to get a physical description of the suspect (s) and any vehicle including plate number.
Anyone with information regarding this incident is encouraged to contact the Clarkstown Police Department at 845-639-5800 or the TIPS line at 1-877-639-6233.
You must be logged in to post a comment Login