Menorah sparks house fire in Ramapo


For one Ramapo family, Hanukkah, the Jewish Festival of Lights, was brighter than they would have ever asked for.  A lit candle from a menorah found kindling and soon a fire consumed much of their home at 1 Tauber Terrace, Town of Ramapo.

The fire, which was reported at 5:04 p.m., Friday as shabbos approached, was not deemed suspicious by police. The occupants of the house all escaped without injury, and were being provided housing and assistance by their neighbors.

Hillcrest and Monsey fire department were on scene, along with Rockland Paramedics, Rockland Volunteer Ambulance Corp, Orange and Rockland Utilities, and the Rockland County Sherriff’s Department BCI unit. One firefighter from Hillcrest Fire Department sustained a minor burn to his hand and knee, and he was treated at the scene and refused further medical attention.

The home sustained serious damage and is uninhabitable at this time.

You must be logged in to post a comment Login